Safety Alert for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
With the arrival of the holiday season, the Division of Consumer Protection would like to pass along important information regarding Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. Winter months hold the highest risk for CO poisoning, which is a safety issue wherever and whenever you burn fuel. Whether you are heating your home, cooking a Thanksgiving meal, or staying cozy before the fireplace, you are at risk. Remember, if you have fire, you have carbon monoxide!
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is undetectable to the human senses. You may not know you are being exposed until it’s too late. Please read the follow tips and information to help keep you and your family safe all year long. Please pass along and feel free to display the CO Safety Poster to pass along this important message!
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips
§ Never use portable generators inside homes or garages, even if doors and windows are open. Use generators outside only, far away from the home.
§ Keep any flammable materials away from the stove and oven, don't leave the kitchen unattended if you're cooking.
§ Never bring a charcoal grill into the house for heating or cooking. Do not use grills in the garage.
§ Never use a gas range or oven for heating.
§ Have your home heating systems (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually by a trained service technician.
§ Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire. Keep the damper open until the ashes are cool. An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous gases inside the home.
§ Install battery-operated CO alarms, or CO alarms with battery backup, in your home outside separate sleeping areas.
§ If you suspect CO poisoning, get outside to fresh air immediately, and then call 911.
Know the Symptoms of CO Poisoning
§ Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu, but without the fever.
o Shortness of breath
§ High levels of CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including:
o Mental confusion
o Loss of muscular coordination
o Loss of consciousness
o Ultimately death
§ Symptom severity is related to both the CO level and the duration of exposure.
o Slowly developing residential CO problems - Occupants and/or physicians can mistake mild to moderate CO poisoning symptoms for the flu, which sometimes results in tragic deaths.
o Rapidly developing high level CO exposures (e.g., associated with use of generators in residential spaces) - Victims can rapidly become mentally confused, and can lose muscle control without having first experienced milder symptoms; they will likely die if not rescued.
Single Wide rent is increasing to $365 from $360 monthly and Double Wide rent is increasing to $390 from $385 monthly for owner occupied homes.
As always, rent is due on the 1st of the month and a 5% late fee will be applied if rent is received after the 10th of the month.
All residents in good standing will be offered a lease if requested. Please contact the office if you are interested.
Please visit our website to view our new online system in which you can view your account, create work orders for rentals, and set up automatic rent payments or pay monthly. A copy of the community rules is also available on this website.
Cooler weather is already here.
Here is a reminder to make sure your pipes are prepared.
Don't forget to Heat wrap your water lines by November 1st!
With the school year about to kick off, we thought we'd post the Oneonta School District 2015-2015 Calendar!
If you are enjoying one of our rental homes and discover a maintenance need, don't hesitate to call the office during business hours.
We want to hear from you regarding maintenance as soon as possible.
Our office days are Monday and Thursdays but leave a message ANY DAY during normal business hours.
Please note kiddie pools are Not Permitted to be used in the community.
Wrong House Numbers Could Delay Emergency Help
WASHINGTON COUNTY-- Sooner or later you, or your family will most likely need emergency help from first responders, but they need your help fist. They need to be able to find you? Not having a visible address on your home could impact your safety.
Officials say they see problems with house signs about 10 times week, but say if you buy a new visible and reflective house number that will go a long way to finding your residence sooner. Your home address, those three, four or five numbers on your mailbox or house, identifying exactly where you live and also critical for first responders to find you in a timely manner.
"The major problem is the lack of house numbers," said Washington County Emergency Medical Services Director Randy Truette. "The wrong house numbers. The house numbers not being visible due to obstructions."
But Truette says one of the biggest issues is not having reflective signs, which are easier to see, and in fact necessary at night.
"We're forever getting someone to come out of a home and say 'Hey we're looking for this address," and they "Well, it's back about five houses,'. So it happens pretty frequently," Truette said.
Officials say mobile home communities are the most problematic when it comes to having proper house numbers. Here you can see a number of these are missing that valuable information and officials say when they go into those communities and the homes are also missing the numbers it cuts into valuable time.
"It delays the response as well as far as getting proper medical treatment to that to the patient," explained Washington County EMS Paramedic Supervisor Joey Tharp. "Probably the average of two or three minutes if they're neighbors don't have the numbers, it's gonna delay it that much longer because."
Tharp says these reflective signs are what you should have.
"I think a lot of people just lack the knowledge and the benefit of actually having those out by their house," Tharp explained.
Officials point out you also need to make sure your phone provider has your correct 911 address, and make sure the signs are visible from the road in both directions. If you live a decent distance from the road, officials say your address should also be posted at the entrance of your driveway.They also say your address numbers should be replaced every few years.
Article from WJHG.com
Talk to us!
Send your feedback, questions or complaints HERE.